logo
 
Hardly three months after the fire in a 60-storey building, Avighna Park in Parel, another major fire in a 20-storey residential building in Tardeo has rattled the city, snuffing out six lives and injuring 23 others.

The fire erupted at 7.30am on the 19th floor of the Sachinam Heights building opposite Bhatia Hospital in Tardeo. Most of the residents were asleep when wafts of smoke roused them. Scared residents scurried towards the main door but halted in their tracks when they realised the entire floor was enveloped in smoke.

Some managed to run down the staircase, even as senior citizens and others locked the doors of their bedrooms and started screaming for help. Later, fire brigade personnel rescued them. The fire brigade categorised it as a level-3 blaze and rushed 13 fire engines, 8 jumbo water tankers and 2 hydraulic platforms to the spot; they also had with them a turntable ladder and breathing apparatus. Five ambulances had already reached the mishap site.

Still, it took the fire brigade around five hours to douse the blaze. Fire officers and residents said that the firefighting system in the building was not in a working condition.
Most of the injured were rushed to Bhatia Hospital in the vicinity, while some others were ferried to Nair, Kasturba, and Masina.

Dr Satyadeo Malik, CEO, Bhatia Hospital, said: “Twenty patients from the building were brought in. The immediate and timely intervention from the RMOs helped save lives. Five of them were treated in casualty and allowed to go home. One was brought dead. Two patients with serious burn injuries were transferred to Kasturba and Masina.”

“Twelve patients were hospitalised and six of them are critical; they are under observation in the ICU. The other 6 patients admitted in the ward are stable. They are being treated for excess smoke inhalation and breathing difficulty. All the patients were immediately attended, and all required treatment was provided,” he said in a statement.

A local residents said that the fire had erupted inside the wire duct that runs from the ground to the top story. Thankfully, the fire was confined to the 19th and 20th floors.

A resident, requesting anonymity, said that the building was built in 2013 and possession was given 2016 onwards, as in the intervening years, there was a court case. The building is a redevelopment project and the plot on which it was built used to be a slum area.
No Comments For This Post, Be first to write a Comment.
Leave a Comment
Name:
Email:
Comment:
Enter the code shown:


Can't read the image? click here to refresh

Todays Epaper

neerus indian ethnic wear
Latest Urdu News

Which cricket team will win the IPL 2022?

Gujarat Titans
Lucknow Super Giants
Rajasthan Royals