Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on Monday said an official assessment had found that 26,681 houses were damaged in the floods that hit the state in July, with the overall losses estimated at around Rs 480 crore so far.
Releasing the second phase of immediate interim monetary relief of Rs 15,000 each to flood-affected families in Sivasagar, Charaideo, Jorhat and Golaghat districts, Sarma said the state had so far provided the assistance to 96,842 families. The total amount disbursed under the relief programme
stands at Rs 146.26 crore.
The latest phase covers another 31,991 families in the four worst-hit districts. Sarma said another 3,000-4,000 families could be included once the beneficiary list is finalised.
According to the ongoing damage assessment, 26,681 houses and 18,887 cattle sheds have been damaged, while 41,000 handloom-related materials have been destroyed. The floods have also resulted in the loss of 5,98,691 domestic animals, while 93,256 farmers have been identified as affected.