A Myanmar court slapped two more charges against the deposed State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi who is in military detention since the civilian government headed by her was taken over by the military on Feb 1. 

Initially charged with illegally importing six walkie-talkies, a charge under natural disaster law was added against her for violating the restrictions related to Coronavirus. 

On Monday, a charge for publishing information that may cause fear or alarm or disrupt public tranquility was added. Another charge under telecommunication law which requires a license for equipment was added, reports Reuters quoting the lawyer representing Aung San Suu Kyi.

Aung San Suu Kyi took part in court proceedings on Monday through video conferencing in the capital Naypyitaw. The next hearing is scheduled for March 15. 

Meanwhile, protests continued in Yangon where police used stun grenades and tear gas to disperse the protesters. Protests of varying strength were reported from otter parts of the country also on Monday. 

The official website of the Myanmar military government warned of severe action against ‘anarchic mobs’ of protestors. According to an organization tracking political prisoners in Myanmar, Assistance Association for Political Prisoners (AAPP), more than 1132 people have been arrested or detained since February 1 when military take over took place. 

The UN, US, European Union, Japan, and Canada have strongly condemned the violent crackdown against protestors carried out by the military government on Sunday in which 18 people died. 

The UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres urged the international community to send a clear signal to the military government in Myanmar that it must accept the will of the people. 
No Comments For This Post, Be first to write a Comment.
Leave a Comment
Enter the code shown:

Can't read the image? click here to refresh
learn quran online easily

Todays Epaper

Latest Urdu News

Which political party will win the Nagarjuna Sagar Assembly by-poll to be held on April 17?