logo
 

Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton has tested positive for the coronavirus and will miss the upcoming Sakhir Grand Prix in Bahrain.

The Formula One driver is now in isolation and his contacts had been traced, the FIA said in a statement. They also added that he is doing fine and is otherwise fit and well.

The statement read, "The FIA, Formula 1 and Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team can today confirm that during mandatory pre-race PCR testing for the Sakhir Grand Prix, Lewis Hamilton has tested positive for COVID-19.

"In accordance with COVID-19 protocols and public health authority guidelines in Bahrain he is now isolating. All contacts have been declared. The procedures set out by the FIA and Formula 1 will ensure no wider impact on this weekend’s event."

The driver had been tested thrice in the last week leading upto the Bahrain Grand Prix, which was overshadowed by a horrific crash for Romain Grosjean, and returned a negative test each time.

However, he woke up on Monday morning with mild symptoms and a further test was done, the result of which came out to be positive, his team said in a statement.

Mercedes will announce the replacement driver for this weekend’s Sakhir Grand Prix in the due course of time.

Hamilton will now need a negative test before being allowed to return to the paddock.

Hamilton became the third F1 driver to test positive for the virus this season, following Racing Point's Sergio Perez at Silverstone and Lance Stroll in Germany.

No Comments For This Post, Be first to write a Comment.
Leave a Comment
Name:
Email:
Comment:
Enter the code shown:


Can't read the image? click here to refresh
learn quran online easily

Todays Epaper

Which political party will win the MLC elections in Telangana?

TRS
BJP
CONGRESS