logo
 
New International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Kirsty Coventry has announced a pause and review of the Olympic host city selection process. The move comes as India emerges among the leading contenders in a crowded field of bidders for the 2036 Summer Olympics. The decision also marks a clear departure from the tightly controlled approach of her predecessor, Thomas Bach.

Coventry explained that the decision was driven by two main reasons. Firstly, IOC members wanted to be more engaged in the process. And secondly, there had been significant discussion around the timing of when next host should be awarded.

"There was an overwhelming support from the IOC members for a pause to be done and a review of the future host election process and we will be setting up a working group to look into



this," said Coventry, 41, following her first Executive Board meeting in Lausanne on Thursday, June 26.

The review marks a significant shift from Bach's strategy, which was designed to avoid costly bid campaigns and instead prioritised early, behind-the-scenes agreements with preferred bidders. That approach led to Brisbane being fast-tracked as the host for the 2032 Games in a surprise selection made 11 years in advance - bypassing traditional bids and contested votes, but drawing criticism from IOC members who felt excluded from the process.

Coventry said the change reflects a growing demand among IOC members for greater inclusion and transparency. Her presidency commenced earlier this week with closed-door sessions involving more than 70 IOC members in Lausanne, according to AP news agency.
No Comments For This Post, Be first to write a Comment.
Leave a Comment
Name:
Email:
Comment:
Enter the code shown:


Can't read the image? click here to refresh
etemaad live tv watch now

Todays Epaper

English Weekly

neerus indian ethnic wear
Latest Urdu News

Who will be Indian cricket team's next sponsor?

Toyota
Fintech
Can't Say