Following reports that the film Apne 2 had been shelved, producer Deepak Mukut has publicly clarified that the sequel remains in active development. The confirmation comes in the wake of actor Dharmendra's death on November 24, which has brought renewed attention to the project and its significance for fans of the veteran star. The production team has reiterated its intent to honour Dharmendra's legacy through the film, as speculation about the project's future circulated widely among the public and the media.
The original Apne, released in 2007, featured Dharmendra alongside his sons Sunny Deol and Bobby Deol. The sequel, which was announced with the inclusion of Karan Deol as well, is currently undergoing creative restructuring to align with the emotional legacy left by Dharmendra. After director Anil Sharma stated that the movie has been put on hold, the producer issued an official statement regarding the same.
In response to persistent rumours about the
project's status, Deepak said. "People need to stop spreading unverified rumours. Apne 2 is not shelved. This film is happening, and it is happening with full conviction. We have been working quietly but consistently, and there has never been a question of dropping the project. Apne 2 is not only on track but remains one of the most emotionally significant projects undertaken by our banner."
Producer Deepak Mukut further emphasised the personal significance of the project. "Apne belonged to Dharamji. His presence, his warmth, his soul, everything he stood for, made that film what it became. Apne 2 is extremely close to my heart. In many ways, the film will be a shradhanjali, a heartfelt homage to Dharamji. We want the sequel to celebrate him, his values, and the emotional world he created with the Deol family on screen," he said.
The production continues to move forward, with the team committed to delivering the project as a tribute to Dharmendra's cinematic legacy.